So getting up early was out, I slept in till 8:30 and then proceeded to clean up a bit so I could get into the mood of song writing. So I started, it was rough but I did manage to get 2 songs out. Here is what happened .. (errr, it’s a bit boring )
Hunz RPM01 01
- drew a sample on the screen.
- split up the highs and the lows with a send.
- pushed the highs into a panning stereo situation.
- created a chord progression.
- didn’t create a vibe for me.
- found a nice loop from a sample cd.
- cut it up.
- reprogrammed / pitched shifted everything around and made a beat.
- drew a bass sample.
- got those 2 working together.
- felt the vibe.
- created chords and melodies.
- started singing out a basic melody.
- scraped the singing.
- listened again found something nicer.
- as the loop played I sung the chorus
- I then shifted the song around the singing I had created.
- I completed my 1st sketch and moved on.
Hunz RPM 02 02
- found an old hiphop loop
- cut up the loop into fragments
- split out the drums
- created a snare split (highs/lows)
- used the hihats really low with the snare to create some body
- found a neat button I’ve never seen before in renoise autoamp
- Starting playing with it and noticed it reaches a threshold and created FM distortion like stuff
- created a melody around this
- created another melody that is more me
- Everything locked together
- Sung over the top of everything and sung a chorus over the verse
- Wrote a chord progression for the chorus
As you can hear, I mix as I write. It helps me get into the mood of the song and hear where it wants to take me. When I started this morning I also opened up the Bible to Joshua and I gazed down on its words. ‘Terrified’ was the word I connected with. It’s such and awesome word, that best described uncertainty in time of change and economic sadness.
Am feeling very optimistic. I feel like I could do this. Hope you guys enjoy it. Let me know what you think of the tunes.
I’m getting ready for the explosion of music tomorrow. I’ve set the most unreasonable goal of completing 3 tunes. Haha, I mean, I can do it! At this point I’m feeling very optimistic but I’ve been told by many close friends that, that is my nature. So can I rely on it this time? You bet! (Although, this is my optimistic self replying too )
My writing program of choice is going to be Renoise. I’m planning right now of only using the plug-ins that came with the program and even final mixing and mastering. Sounds dangerous? Yeah, I know .. but .. I think I can get it sounding neat.
I’m very VERY excited. It’s like Christmas night but instead of Santa falling down the chimney I get to see songs and melodies spill out from that tiny black hole they call my head. As you can see, I’m also pretending that I’m not going to get writers block. Oh the wonders of dreaming about the future. So get ready to see my rosy checks of optimism punched by the emotional drain of normal every-day events. Oooh, perhaps Emo will ensue…
While I was at work one day my wife posted this link to me :
This is The Challenge – Record an album in 28 days, just because you can.
That’s 10 songs or 35 minutes of original material recorded during the month of February. Go ahead… put it to tape.
Don’t wait for inspiration – taking action puts you in a position to get inspired. You’ll stumble across ideas you would have never come up with otherwise, and maybe only because you were trying to meet a day’s quota of (song)writing. Show up and get something done, and invest in yourself and each other.
Anyone can come up with an excuse to say “no,” so don’t!
I decided that I would do this challenge. I’m not going to use any material that I’ve made for the next album. I’m going to do something completely new in the month of Feb and only use Renoise. I thought I would blog and podcast what I do, and if I make it, we’ll all have some free hunz music released.
Please stay tuned and watch me either “win” or “fail”