Mixing Comments [Mr Mark Dollin]
- I think I found my new favourite RPM song! What bliss and pain all rolled together! Listening through a few times to get a sense of all the bits. I’ll be approaching the mix using the same method as all the previous mixes. Low, to high, to vocals, to the whole mix. Oddies follow:
- Fixing some buggy clicks in the kick drum – still gritty but not so clicky.
- Lifiting the tone of all the drums, time for some punch!
- Now to the synths, fixing spatialities and tones to make sure there’s nothing left but detailed high magic.
- Bass is dissappearing into the kick in places so I’m adding a wide chorus to let it speak it more above the kick.
- Now to sample cleaning! Clean clean clean…
- Sending all the vocals to a group to get a nice shape to the sound. Adjusting the tone of each vocal sound to get it all interlock.
- Now adding everything back with the vocals. Making more tweaks to vocal placements to emphasise the drama of the parts.
- Putting a lengthend fade at the end.
- Checking on headphones. Fine adjustments here and there.
- It’s getting late so it would be wise to have a final check with fresh ears early tomorrow.
- Earling morning session. Fixing some more vocal settings, getting everything flowing and balanced.
- Time to check on the big speakers loud! More fine adjusting on vocals.
- Back to the main speakers for one last check. Ok done!